4.20.2014

blessings & a recipe

I just feel so blessed today. Blessed to be surrounded by my amazing family, blessed to have plenty of food on our table, and most of all, blessed to be redeemed by an empty grave. Outside the sky is clear blue and wisteria is in bloom all over town. I am truly and deeply blessed.

I am also blessed to have a husband willing to try anything I manage to concoct in our kitchen, such as this surprisingly delicious Greek Chicken & Spinach Phyllo Pie:

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb chopped grilled chicken (I cheated and used pre-grilled frozen chicken nuggets from Tyson which are great as a quick salad topper or a dinner corner-cutter)
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp each of ground cinnamon, allspice, and salt
- a few splashes of hot sauce (here we use Texas Pete!)
- 1/2 cup tomato/spaghetti sauce
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed

  • Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9" pie pan with nonstick spray.
  • To make filling, heat oil in a large pot, then add the chicken, onion, and garlic and cook till fragrant.
  • Stir in tomato sauce and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Add spinach and feta, then egg whites and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.
  • Lay 3 sheets of phyllo at different angles to cover the bottom of the pie pan.
  • Spoon 1/3 of filling into shell then top with another 2-3 phyllo sheets. Repeat till all filling is used.
  • Use 2-3 phyllo sheets to top pie and kitchen scissors to trim crust.
  • Optional: Brush top with egg white or butter.
  • Bake 30-35 minutes. Let sit 5 min before serving.

Though I forgot to take a picture of this awesome savory pie, it was definitely tasty and going into our regular dinner rotation. I think it'd be even better with artichokes added, but alas, Strider thinks they're "icky". 

Update: weather didn't cooperate for me to finish the nightstands last weekend, but it's on my "Alright Sarah, you definitely just have to finish this project now" to-do list for the week.

Recipe adapted from the WW PointsPlus Power Foods Cookbook.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that pie sounds scrumptious! I think I actually have everything to make this so I might try tonight! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madison - let me know if you guys try it out!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! I really love reading them and look forward to hearing what you have to say!