1.15.2013

legacies aren't just for monarchies


My sister Carly is officially back and settled on the West Coast. And even though we got 10 whole days with her over Christmas, it definitely wasn't long enough and we miss her lots already. However, we are trying something new and really cool together—a Bible study via the web. Basically, we're just going to do the book study each night and then send each other our thoughts and answers to some of the discussion questions provided. Today was Day 1 and it is already awesome to be able to share this together!

As we are both striving to grow as women of faith and trying to figure out our role as godly women (and future wives and mothers), we decided to do The Virtuous Woman study by Vicki Courtney. The subtitle is "Shattering the Superwoman Myth" and it deals with coming to grips with the Proverbs 31 woman (a biggie for me to wrap my head around).

Day 1 looks at legacies. Now, I don't know if you're like me, but when I think of the world "legacy", I imagine pompous aristocrats wearing velvet, ordering executions, and discussing heirs. But the truth is that we all have a legacy

I've spent time thinking about what kind of woman, wife, and mother I want to be in the future, but I've never really thought about my legacy beyond that. Or how just one woman's life or way of raising a child can result in values, and traditions for future generations beyond her children or grandchildren. It made me wonder how much of my great-great-great-great grandmother's example and life could be traced back through how I was raised. Even though I know nothing about her, I wonder how much the course of our family was built on her. Like families with first generation college graduates—they are literally changing everything for so more than just their direct children.

Courtney brings up the question of whether you feel people today are more legacy-focused or here-and-now focused? For me, the answer is a no-brainer! Everyone and everything seems to be all about the present. Holiday layaways and credit cards are the most notorious examples I can think of. But in this hectic world of "ME, ME, ME!", it seems like there is more to be said for tradition and legacy-thinking that we are giving due.

Think about it and see if you can find two (only two) things that you would want not just to be remembered for, but that would exemplify your legacy through generations you will never know and who might never know you. 
How would you want to alter the course for all those coming after you?


I won't be posting about the study every day, but maybe sharing some exceptionally thought-provoking bits here and there. I'd love to know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. One thing that popped into my mind was that I want my descendants to have a hunger for knowledge; not settle for mediocre knowledge. I know that it has been passed down from my grandparents and therefore to my parents. I hope that I can continue to pass that down. And, not just one area of knowledge, either. I'm not saying that my kids or whoever have to be brainiacs, but if they still want to learn and increase their knowledge, I would feel like I impacted them some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is an awesome thing for you to want your children and beyond to cherish. I think having a love for learning is a quality that lasts a lifetime.

      I think being willing to serve is one of my top ones. I want to model the importance of having a servant's heart and knowing that serving is part of loving people.

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! I really love reading them and look forward to hearing what you have to say!